Monday, October 31, 2005

It's in There!

This past weekend the Sheraton Meadowlands Hotel in beautiful East Rutherford, New Jersey hosted the 15th Annual Chiller Theatre Toy, Model and Film Expo. In addition to dozens of vendor tables, the Expo also featured many celebrity guests and panel discussions. This year's event included appearances by Adam West, Burt Ward, Larry Hagman, Barbara Eden, Pete Best, George Romero, Kevin Sorbo, The Iron Sheik, and the guy who played "Bud Bundy" on Married with Children. The total guest list included well over 100 popular figures from the world of film, TV, pro-wrestling and music. It also featured a guy wandering around the parking lot dressed up like Jason Voorhees.


Quite impressive, eh? At first glance though I wasn't too excited about anyone, and after being ripped off by Tom Savini a few years earlier I wasn't really interested in going again. I decided to go after seeing that Eugene Clark, "Big Daddy" from George Romero's latest Land of the Dead was going to be in attendance. "Big Daddy" was my favorite character in Dead, and it was a thrill to meet the actor that played him.

I also met a few other people during the two days that I spent at the Expo. I was excited to meet Geoffery Lewis and Kate Norby from Rob Zombie's The Devils Rejects. Geoff didn't have much to say, but Kate answered a bunch of questions that I had about the making of Zombie's very intense film.

I was nearly floored when I saw a guest that I hadn't noticed on the list: Eddie Mekka, "The Big effing Ragu" from Laverne and Shirley. I've used Eddie's character, "Carmine Ragusa" as the punch line to many a joke and couldn't believe that I would be able to meet him. Eddie turned out to be a really nice guy and the highlight of a very memorable event.

For a more detailed account of the Chiller Theatre experience check out THIS article over at Bunch O Junk.

3 comments:

Guy Hutchinson said...

Yeah, what an interesting place. I will always remember the day I met The Big Ragu.
He liked my Mr. T T-shirt.
I also got to see the guy who played Bud Bundy on Married With Children meet Rob Van Dam. That was a historic moment.


My word verification word was:
UPNMAFT
I define it as:
The top signal achieved by the UPN tv network.
I use it in a sentence as such:
I can't get that signal. The UPNmaft is weak.

T-_Bone said...

Sounds like a great event. Too bad you didn't have that meat ball sub to share with Eddie, as you would have fulfilled one of your life's dreams!

Oh and Sweetie - my word was jyuxhot. It is defined as the way CRAIG would describe a pair of beautiful women who are regulars at the Knight Club in New Brunswick.

Strutter71 said...

I can't believe the Big Ragu was there! Great picture!