Sunday, May 23, 2004

Lucas vs. The World

If you haven't already heard, George Lucas is finally releasing the original three Star Wars movies on DVD in September. Well sort of...
Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi will be coming to disc as Special, Special Editions, but will not really resemble the films as they were originally made. In fact, word is they won't even resemble the Special Editions from '97. What is going to be released later this year are the movies as Lucas envisions them now.

What exactly does this mean though, and more importantly will the general public care? Lucas is giving the films yet another "face lift" if you will, revamping the sound, special effects, and "fixing" continuity problems that exist because of things he did in the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

You can't really be upset at Lucas though. Prior to the Special Editions of '97, upon release (for what seemed like the millionth time) of the original films on VHS and Laserdisc he said that this was going to be the last time the films would be available in their original cuts.

Now I didn't have many issues with the '97 Special Editions. Most of the additions, jarring as they were, did not affect my overall enjoyment of those films (save the whole Greedo shoots first edit which makes Greedo look like the most incompetent bounty hunter in the galaxy and completely changes Han Solo as a character).

But the question is, do these films need another make-over, and does Lucas even have the right to do so? Of course he does, but the argument that once the films were released they no longer "belonged" to him holds with me (I won't even mention the fact that he didn't EVEN direct Empire and Jedi).

The saddest thing though is that Lucas can't see a good thing when he's got it. He is treating his films like some plastic surgery obsessed freak who in an effort to continually look better, just looks really sad instead.

Needless to say, I won't be the first on line for these DVD releases.

2 comments:

T-_Bone said...

I'm glad you mentioned the Greedo part. The remake turned him into an incompetent stooge. I'm sure Lucas will futher tarnish the Star Wars saga with these remakes. Maybe in Jedi, will get more of Leia at Jabba's place and less Ewoks!

Guy Hutchinson said...

Bravo, my good man, bravo.

I really don't understand what Lucas is doing. He reminds me of a supermodel constantly worrying about if he looks fat.

The films are fine. Leave them alone!

I once heard Tim Burton talk about this trend of director’s cuts and repairing films after their release. He said that he doesn't get it either. Perhaps if it was a bad film, but why mess with a good film? And why is there a need for directors cut? If you aren't happy with the film you released why did you put your name on it in the first place?

I also once heard Tim Burton say that he likes hamburgers. I think that’s a sentiment we can all get behind.

I have to go wash my brain. I keep picturing a supermodel George Lucas on a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover.