Thursday, May 20, 2004

Groupie

It has been quite some time since I've had a celebrity crush. Not since the Jenny McCarthy obsession of '94/'95 have I crushed on a famous person. Being single again, and having very little interest in finding a mate (mostly because I am too lazy to do the work) the time seems right for a new one. Enter Carrie Smith, bass player and sometime vocalist for the Detroit rock band The Von Bondies. She's a total riot grrl and real easy to crush on. She is easy on the eyes and sings like the girl from The Waitresses. She also plays her bass without a pick.

I'm going to see them at The Stone Pony in Asbury tomorrow night, and have visions of ending up backstage or on the tour bus like some kind of male groupie. I wonder though, do male groupies have to go through the same things as the female ones in order to get backstage? Are there female roadies who prefer the same kinds of "favors" as the male ones? If so, I wonder if I have what it takes to get that pass.

I have another fantasy though. Perhaps during the set, Carrie will see me in the crowd, point me out, and give the signal to get me a backstage pass. After the show, I'd really turn on the charm, perhaps use one of my classic lines like "Play here often?" and end up on the tour bus. Who knows how long I'd stay on the road with them?

When I finally did get home though, I'd have crazy stories that would impress my friends and make my enemies envious.

Yeah, it seems destined to happen.

Now I just have to figure out what to wear...

6 comments:

T-_Bone said...

Check out Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy. Saw them recently and I was mesmerized. A hot blonde singing death metal, do they come any hotter than that? I would enjoy being her groupie for a while; but my wife and kids may wonder where I was.

Guy Hutchinson said...

For those who don't know who Carrie Smith is click on this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005R7E/ref=m_art_li_2/103-1441483-8319831?v=glance&s=music

And yes, like Jenny McCarthy, she is quite a dish.

CRAIG said...

The REAL Carrie SmithAlthough the Carrie Smith you found is quite the looker as well, Sweetie.

T-_Bone said...

How was the tour bus?

T-_Bone said...

Here's Angela - sorry I am not proficient enough for a direct link, but you can cut and paste

http://www.loudside.com/graphics/bands/archenemy.jpg

CRAIG said...

No problem, T. Very nice. As for the tour bus, sadly I didn't see the inside of it, and after what I did for that roadie! If I ever see him again! All kidding aside, though, the show was awesome. The Pony is a great place to see bands, and to catch a band like The Von Bondies who are ready to blow-up at such a venue is a real treat.