Saturday, March 28, 2015

5 Essential Apps

Back in 2011 I posted a list of 10 essential smartphone apps. In that time the smartphone landscape has changed and apps that were once necessary additions to a stock phone have become standard functions. With that said I'm presenting a second list showcasing the 5 apps that help me get the most out of my Android experience in 2015.

1. Wave Launcher: Number 9 on my list in 2011 Wave Launcher is my new "desert island" app. From my write-up in 2011: "Wave Launcher allows you to access up to 120 assignable apps from anywhere on your phone with a quick swipe of your finger. This app really changed the way that I use my phone. A free alternative is SwipePad. SwipePad is similar but only offers 12 assignable slots. I'd recommend giving SwipePad a try and if you appreciate what it does for you can go ahead and upgrade to Wave Launcher."

I prefer to have minimal home screens and like to keep them clean and uncluttered. Wave Launcher coupled with folders helps me do just that.

2. Llama: Llama is a location based app that triggers phone actions based on where you are. I use this less than I used to but it still makes my life easier. It turns my wifi on when I get home and off when I leave. It also automatically adjusts the volume on my phone at work. There are many more options with Llama. It's free and worth checking out.

3. Screen Filter: Download Screen Filter, your eyes will thank you in a few years. I use this app at night so if I look at my phone in the dark I'm not assaulted with a bright screen. This app also comes in handy when you're at the movies and you want to quickly check the time or an incoming text without alerting the whole theater.

4. Pocket Casts: The folks over at Shifty Jelly are my favorite developers and it's all because of Pocket Casts. They've developed a clean, easy to use app for streaming and downloading podcasts. Constantly looking to improve the experience they provide regular app updates. Well worth the $3.99 price tag.

5. VLC for Android: This is an app influenced by PC use. Simply put the VLC media player is the best way to listen to music and watch videos on your phone. It's open source and plays a wide range of files.

I hope you've found this list helpful and please let me know what apps you can't live without!

No comments: