Monday, February 28, 2005

"I'm Your Huckleberry"

Few actors have had a more consistent career than Val Kilmer. Which isn't to say that he's the best ever, just that he's consistent. And in my book consistency is where it's at. Sure with De Niro you'll get brillinat movies like Raging Bull but you also get junk like Showtime or even worse Analyze That. And for every great Pacino flick like say Scarface you'll have to deal with a Dick Tracy. But before I get ahead of myself and start comparing good De Niro films to the very long list of bad ones, I should get back on track. After all I didn't come here to beat up on arguably two of the greatest American actors of the last twenty years.

Actually I'm not sure why I'm here. I can't buy a taco here and I can't score with chicks here either. Actually now that I think about it this place is pretty lame. Here I am in cyberspace, a place where pretty much anything goes, a place where I have a license to do whatever I want, and I am defending Val Kilmer's career. A career, I might add, that by the end of this piece should have all of you believing is in very little need of any defending.

Born in Los Angeles in 1959 Val Kilmer secured his legend early on by becoming the youngest actor ever accepted to Julliard's drama department. He went on to make his film debut in the 1984 comedy Top Secret! and proceeded to ride a wave of stardom that included career defining roles that include Jim Morrison, Bruce Wayne/Batman and Doc Holliday.

Over the years Kilmer has gained a reputation as being stand offish and difficult to work with, but with work like his Kilmer has proven that (alleged) difficulty is a small price to pay for performances that will be remembered as some of Hollywood's best.

Listed below are five of the greatest performances from Kilmer's over 20 year movie career.

Real Genius: It's hard to believe that after Kilmer's turn in Top Secret! and this film that he wasn't branded a comedic actor. His performance as a brilliant but lazy college student is subtle and hilarious.

True Romance: Kilmer shines in what amounts to a glorified cameo playing a very Elvis-like character.

The Doors: The star of this Oliver Stone flick was going to make or break it and Kilmer's spot on Jim Morrison is captivating.

Heat: In a role that requires very little talk, Kilmer turns in one of the best performances of his career. The pain he shows in his final minutes of screen time is heart breakingly real.

Tombstone: Kilmer's finest hour. His role as the sickly Doc Holliday (sporting a true to life real mustache) is a study in what an actor can do when he isn't talking.

3 comments:

T-_Bone said...

I especially liked his performance in The Doors. Especially the part where he suggests to the censor on the Ed Sullivan show that he should sing "C'mon baby bite my wire". Good stuff.

Guy Hutchinson said...

I also loved him in The Island of Dr. Moreau. His impression of Brando was hysterical!

CRAIG said...

Great to see Georg P. gracing my page again!

"If only I had him do something weird."

What, George, like cutting his pizza with scissors?