Thursday, June 17, 2004

Novel Thoughts

I wrote a novel a few years back.

It was tough going the whole time, and it took me more years than I'd care to think about before it was completed. I was pretty proud of myself after that first draft, but it ended at just that: a first draft.

And what a messy first draft it was. It was derivative, unfocused, and incredibly uneven. I never got around to a second draft, mostly because I was just happy that I had actually finished the damn thing, but also because I was afraid that I had lost exactly what the whole thing was about.

I recently decided to dust it off and give it a proper edit. I have no illusions of ever selling it, but I would like something that I am least able to show people without explaining that it is not very good.

Who knows if I'll be successful. After all, it's been almost four years since I've touched it, and I'm not sure if I'll have any better idea now than I did then of figuring out just what exactly can be done to make it something that I am happy with.

I'm up for the challenge though, and look forward to sharing the manuscript when it is complete.

1 comment:

Guy Hutchinson said...

Is the novel about a duck who lacks the ability to quack? If so, I'm suing.