Sunday, June 20, 2004

A/S/L or: Is There Love in Cyberspace?

It's tough being single in this day and age.

I've been single now since mid December, and without getting into too much detail, I'll just say that it was tough being thrust back out into the dating scene after thinking that I was done with it.

I didn't miss the dating scene. I've never really been partial to going out to bars and picking up women (actually I'm just not very good at it, and it's a lot harder when you don't drink or smoke), and have never really been good at meeting women at other places.

So, with few other places to turn, I started to look in the one place where there seems to be millions of people who are looking to make a connection with someone else: Cyberspace.

Now I'm sure that many people have found love, hapiness, and many other things there, but in my experience cyberspace is just a really depressing place if you are looking to meet someone. And that's a shame, because it seems like it is a place where people can go to be themselves and meet people that share their interests.

In my on-line experience though, no one is looking to just meet someone, have fun, and see what happens. It seems that they are looking for their soul-mate or someone who doesn't even exist.

Most women are seemingly looking for someone who looks like Fabio and pulls in Donald Trump like dollars. Which isn't to say that guys are any different. Most guys are looking for a girl with stripper looks who is into the same geeky stuff that they are.

The sad truth is that cyberspace is really no different than a bar or night club, and that doesn't do me much good.

No comments: