Monday, June 07, 2004

I Can't Believe in Love or: Who Mourns for Bennifer?

So it looks like J-Lo has finally destroyed any chance of a reunion with Ben Affleck.

On Saturday Lopez walked down the aisle with singer/actor Marc Anthony. The marriage, which took place at Lopez' Beverly Hills mansion, came a mere six months after J-Lo spilt up the duo known as "Bennifer," and less than a week after Anthony finalized his divorce from ex-wife Dayanara Torres Delgado.

For those unaware, the news of the Ben and J-Lo split on the heels of my own break-up was devastating, a sharp one two punch if you will. They seemed made for each other, and the thought that they couldn't work things out made me question whether real love actually existed.

They seemed so happy together. Just go back and watch the "Jenny From the Block" video, or if you are strong willed pick up a copy of Gigli at your local video store (sorry, I know that "Gigli" jokes are cheap, but sadly I am not above them) for a glimpse of the chemisry that the duo shared.

Something went wrong though. The media, an outlet that I believe led to a lot of the duo's problems, seemed happy to blame Affleck for the split. Can anyone doubt who's responsible now?

Ben has had a rough year, and the news of J-lo's marriage has to be more crushing than the box-office returns for Paycheck. I'm not going to feel bad for Affleck for too long though. I'm sure that in spite of his recent failures, Ben has many more successful years to look forward to.

But I do feel for the guy. I truly believe that Ben and Jen are meant for each other, and can't believe that I will ever find true happiness while they are apart.

4 comments:

T-_Bone said...

As a side note - is Paycheck on DVD yet? and is it worth renting? Thanks njcrc - BTW as far as Bennifer, well, I'd be more interested in a Black Sabbath reunion tour.

Guy Hutchinson said...

I hate the nickname Bennifer. I prefer to call them B Diddy.

Strutter71 said...

Dammit, I was going to write about this also. I still may, tomorrow, because I'm going to be coming at it from a diferent angle.

CRAIG said...

Paycheck is out on DVD, and although I tend to try and not disuade people from renting, buying, or seeing a movie, I don't think you'll be missing anything if you skip renting it, T. That is unless you want to sit through another dumbed-down PKD adaptation, one of Affleck's most wooden performances yet, and a lackluster directing job by John Woo.