Thursday, January 08, 2015

An Early Ramones Playlist

Yesterday I wrote a piece about the Ramones shaped around the idea of judging a band's newer work against what they've done in the past. "New" in this sense was historical as the music I was writing about was upwards of 35 years old.

After writing and posting the piece I thought it would be fun to go back and make a playlist of Ramones' songs pulled from the 5 albums that inspired the article. I tried to create a good balance of songs from each release. I only included 2 songs from their sophomore release, Leave Home, but included a total of 7 songs from 1977 (they released their 2nd and 3rd album this year) so I feel the list is still a good representation of where they were musically.

As an added bonus I've included a link to a live performance of each song*.  

With drummer Marky Ramone - 2014

 1 - "Blitzkrieg Bop" - From the album Ramones (1976)
2 - "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" - From the album Ramones (1976)
3 - "Chainsaw" - From the album Ramones (1976)
4 - "Listen to My Heart" - From the album Ramones (1976)
5 - "I Remember You" - From the album Leave Home (1977)
6 - "Pinhead" - From the album Leave Home (1977)
7 - "Rockaway Beach" - From the album Rocket to Russia (1977)
8 - "I Don't Care" - From the album Rocket to Russia (1977)
9 - "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - From the album Rocket to Russia (1977)
10 - "We're a Happy Family" - From the album Rocket to Russia (1977)
11 - "Teenage Lobotomy" - From the album Rocket to Russia (1977)
12 - "I Just Want to Have Something to Do" - From the album Road to Ruin (1978)
13 - "I Wanna Be Sedated" - From the album Road to Ruin (1978)
14 - "Go Mental" - From the album Road to Ruin (1978)
15 - "She's the One" - From the album Road to Ruin (1978)
16 - "Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?" - From the album End of the Century (1980)
17 - "I'm Affected" - From the album End of the Century (1980)
18 - "Chinese Rock"  - From the album End of the Century (1980)
19 - "Baby, I Love You" - From the album End of the Century (1980)
20 - "Rock 'n' Roll High School" - From the album End of the Century (1980)

* "Baby, I Love You" features only live vocals. The rest is a backing track. This was actually customary on Top of the Pops (the show where this was performed).

2 comments:

T-_Bone said...

Is Marty McFly's band a tribute to the Ramones' song?

CRAIG said...

Hopefully! Marty hung out with Doc Brown. That's pretty punk rock.