Tuesday, June 21, 2005

TheFutureEmbrace

Billy Corgan's TheFutureEmbrace arrived in stores today. The 12 song collection is the first solo release from the former leader/mastermind of The Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan.

TheFutureEmbrace is an exciting aural experience. Corgan working with producers Bjorn Thorsrud and Bon Harris has created music beds that are heavy on guitar (guitars that don't always sound like guitars mind you) and are lush and atmospheric. And although the sounds are definitely modern, the collection has a definite New Wave feel to it.

As exciting as the music tracks are though, it's the vocals that define this collection. Corgan's voice is stronger and more confident than ever, and as always the words and ideas are deep and full of meaning.

Look (listen?) for former Pumpkin Jimmy Chamberlin on "DIA" and Robert Smith's guitar and backing vocal on a cover version of the Bee Gee's "To Love Somebody."

TheFutureEmbrace is a fine solo debut for Corgan and hopefully the first of many more.

2 comments:

CRAIG said...

Hmmm. So maybe this will be the last BG solo record for awhile. He announced on his website that he wants to get the Pumpkins back together.

From his site: For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know that I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

Who knows if this is for real or just a way to promote his new CD.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

stella said...

me too. they belong together.
i miss the old pumpkins.