Sunday, March 13, 2005

Image is Everything

Part of a continuing series documenting my successes and failures at my weekly poker game.

One of the biggest aspects of my poker game that I've been focusing on is my table image. In my weekly game I've gained a reputation for playing just about any combination of cards and bluffing a lot. I don't mind either assessment of my play, but it's gotten to the point where my play is starting to become predictable. I wanted to change that.

After a few weeks of marginal play and a week off, I was ready to start working towards my new image.

On the third hand of the night I was dealt King 10 off-suit. I didn't love the hand, have learned through experience and reading that it's a trouble hand. It was a cheap call though and I still like to see a cheap flop whenever possible. I kept my cool when the flop gave me trip 10s. I called to any bet and by the river had made a full house when the board made a pair of fives. It was just me and one of the point leaders for the year. He'd been beating up on me all year and I was happy to be in a position where I could muscle him a little.

With the action to me I announced "all in" and pushed my chips towards the center. I wasn't expecting a call; I just wanted to show that I was willing to put all of my chips in the middle of the pot early.

I was quickly called and started to worry. I was sure that my read of the board was right and that I couldn't be beat. "Full house," my opponent said as he flipped over a five.

"Me too," I said flipping over my ten.

I had won a big pot early, busted a player, and taken huge a chip lead.

I considered the night to be a success. I finished second and only regretted one hand: During the heads up duel towards the end of the night I laid down an open-ended straight draw when I was forced all in and didn't have the stones to call.

1 comment:

T-_Bone said...

I am glad to see you are modifying your strategy. That whole Riker thing is really no good.