Thursday, July 08, 2004

Dancin' Fool

If you knew me back in the mid-90s then you knew a pretty fun guy. Which isn't to say that I'm not fun now. I'd actually like to think that I am just as fun as I was back then, and the more that I think about it the only real difference that I see is in the past I was more willing to make an ass out of myself in front of large numbers of people.

If you caught me at a wedding, corporate function, or on the dance floor at one of Central NJ's hot dance clubs back then, then I'm sure that you laughed at my expense. And how could you not? Most of the time I was a slightly drunken goof-ball who wanted to do nothing else but "feel the funk" and hit the dance floor.

And I was a horrible dancer.

I'm not gonna play revisionist here and pretend that in those days when I "cut a rug" that I was any less than truly horrendous. I'd usually stand in one place, moving my feet from left to right as I sort of just hunched my shoulders and shook my arms back and forth. And when I wasn't doing that patented move, I was cribbing most of the easier steps that Travolta pulled in Pulp Fiction.

It most of have been a sight though.

When I first started dating my ex it didn't take long for her to realize that I was in need of a serious dance lesson. And god love her because she thought that she could teach me. So one night at my place with the only thing that I had in my CD collection that was slightly danceable: "American Woman" by Lenny Kravitz, she tried to teach me. Needless to say the lesson didn't go too well, and all that I can say is that I wasn't really encouraged to dance the next time that we went out.

I don't dance anymore. Once again, as I've gotten older I have become more aware of myself, and would rather look bored and un-fun than like a buffoon who's dance moves amuse others.

2 comments:

T-_Bone said...

I have video to prove it!!

Guy Hutchinson said...

Where us Leo Sayer when we need him! Funny stuff NJCRC!