Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Gettin' In Over My Head

Brian Wilson's new CD Gettin' In Over My Head was released yesterday. His first new solo album in six years features guest appearances by Elton John (sorry, Elton, I can't bring myself to call you Sir), Paul McCartney (sorry, Paul, not gonna do it), and Eric Clapton. The set also includes the track "Soul Searchin'" featuring a vocal track that was recorded by the late Carl Wilson in the mid 90s.

Considering that this is only Brian Wilson's third solo recording of new studio material in 16 years, fans of his music really have cause to celebrate. The fact that after all that Wilson has been through (there are plenty of books on Wilson, The Beach Boys and his well publicized battles with mental illness, most notably The Nearest Faraway Place by Timothy White), it's a wonder that he is still producing music at all. And although that is not reason alone to praise Wilson or the work that he has produced for this new collection of songs, it does help one appreciate it that much more.

Gettin' In Over My Head is Wilson's strongest solo recording yet. Featuring his first sole production credit on a solo release, the tracks are full of sounds that haven't been heard on a Wilson recording since Pet Sounds, which isn't to say that BW has retreated to the past for ideas. The music beds are fresh, adventurous and lively, something his earlier solo releases have lacked, and the vocals and beautiful harmonies on these new recordings showcase how important BW's contributions were to the overall sound of The Beach Boys.

For an artist that could easily sit back on past laurels, it is great to see that Brian Wilson is still interested in sharing his music with the world.

Thanks, Brian.

2 comments:

Guy Hutchinson said...

I will have to check this out! I will also make a private apology to Sir Elton, Sir Paul and Mr. Clapton on your behalf.

Clapton has not yet been knighted, but, in 1995 the Queen granted him an Officer of the Order of The British Empire on her New Year’s Honours List for “contribution to British Life.”

CRAIG said...

I have to apologize, Sweetie. My remarks about Sir Reginald and Sir "I don't eat meat" were a cheap attempt to add humor to a blog that I felt had been lacking jokes in the past few days.
I am sorry if anyone was offended by my comments, and I will try my best to never go for the cheap laugh again. With that said, there is a very good possibility that this blog will never be funny again...